Why 2348 B.C.? Well, just do a quick Google search. You will see that it is the date of the Great Flood, according to Bishop Ussher's dating system, which he published between 1642 and 1644. You will also see that the Internet is chockablock with Fundmentalist crap that carries that dating system - books, wall posters, websites, materials for home schooling, etc.
Just out of curiosity, what do we know of the world of 2348 B.C., when our Conservative Christian friends tell us the population of the earth was wiped out, with only 8 survivors? Here is what Wikipedia has:
- c. 2383 BC: Pepi II Neferkare, the longest reigning monarch of all time, started to rule at age 6.
- c. 2360 BC: Hekla-4 eruption.
- c. 2350 BC: End of the Early Dynastic IIIb period in Mesopotamia.
- c. 2350 BC: First destruction of the city of Mari.
- c. 2345 BC: End of Fifth Dynasty. Pharaoh Unas died.
- c. 2345 BC: Sixth dynasty of Egypt starts (other date is 2460 BC).
- c. 2340 BC - 2180 BC: Akkadian Empire.
- c. 2334 BC - 2279 BC: Semitic chieftain Sargon of Akkad's conquest of Sumer and Mesopotamia.
- c. 2333 BC: Dangun founded the state Gojoseon (Modern-day Korea), during the reign of the Chinese Emperor Yao
- City of Lothal founded under the Indus valley civilization.